Dronfield, Derbyshire born right back Roy Goodall had a remarkable one club career, being a constant component in the successful Huddersfield Town teams of the 1920’s and 1930’s, playing for 16 years, for twelve of which he was club captain. He played local junior football with Dronfield Woodhouse in 1920. Signing professional for Huddersfield Town in January 1921 he made his Football League debut against Liverpool in April 1923, and played 15 games as Huddersfield won their first League Championship in 1923-24. He established himself as a first team regular from the start of the 1924-25 campaign and played for The Terriers throughout the most successful period in their history when under Herbert Chapman they won a hat-trick of League Championships in 1924, 1925 and 1926. He was also three times a runner up in the League Championship in 1927, 1928 and 1934.
He played in both their unsuccessful 1928 and 1930 FA Cup Final appearances at Wembley, when Huddersfield were beaten by Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal respectively. In total he made 440 appearances for Huddersfield Town, scoring 21 goals, all penalties, playing 14 seasons for Huddersfield Town, his last match coming at Charlton Athletic in April 1937. Between 1924 and 1934 he rarely missed many games although he was only ever present once in 1928-29, when he led Huddersfield to the 1929 FA Cup semi final, where they were beaten by eventual winners Bolton Wanderers at Anfield.
Goodall won the first of his 25 England international caps against Scotland in April 1926. His last cap was in 1933, and he was captain in 12 of his internationals. In terms of inter war players, he is level with Harry Hibbs, behind Eddie Hapgood (30 caps) and Sammy Crooks (26 caps) as the most capped inter war England international. He also made 8 representative appearances for The Football League. He played his last match for Huddersfield in April 1937 and retired to become trainer of Nottingham Forest in May 1937, a position he held until 1944. After the Second World War he was the manager of Mansfield Town from May 1945 to June 1949.