Tresadern Jack Image 6 Tottenham Hotspur manager 1935

Tresadern Jack Image 6 Tottenham Hotspur manager 1935


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Leytonstone, Essex born Jack Tresadern, a left-half, began his career with non-league Wanstead in 1912, moving on to Barking Town before joining Southern League club West Ham United in July 1913. He also represented Essex during his amateur days. He made his Southern League debut at Watford in a 6-0 defeat in April 1914 but made only 6 appearances before the interruption of the First World War, during which he continued to play for West Ham, scoring once in 20 wartime appearances, while serving with The Royal Garrison Artillery. After the War he was part of the West Ham side elected to the Football League in 1919 and made his Football League debut at Lincoln City in September 1919, soon becoming a regular in The Hammers’ first eleven.

He was part of the West Ham side that lost 2-0 to Bolton Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup Final to be held at Wembley in the famous “White Horse” Final of 1923. After just two minutes Tresadern became entangled in the crowd after taking a throw-in and was unable to return to the pitch immediately. This gave Bolton’s David Jack the opportunity to shoot for goal, the shot beating West Ham goalkeeper Ted Hufton to give Bolton the lead.

He helped West Ham gain promotion to the First Division the same season as Second Division runners up. Tresadern made his England debut in April 1923, in the 2-2 Home International draw with Scotland, although he was not pleased with his performance. “I was the best player Scotland had on the field”, he said! He won a further cap a month later in the tour of Sweden, playing in a 4-2 win in Stockholm.

However he struggled to hold down his place in the side the following season and in October 1924, after 5 goals in 166 appearances for The Hammers, Tresadern moved to Burnley for £1,050. He played 23 times for Burnley before joining Northampton Town as player-manager in May 1925, Burnley released Tresadern under an arrangement which included the transfer of Louis Page in return. At The County Ground he scored once in 41 appearances before hanging up his boots in December 1926 after breaking his leg.

He continued as manager of Northampton Town until October 1930 when he became manager of Crystal Palace. In June 1935 he left Palace to manage Tottenham Hotspur, but had little success at White Hart Lane, resigning to take over at Plymouth Argyle in April 1938 rather than wait to be sacked. The Second World War interrupted his time at Plymouth, but he remained at Home Park until November 1947. The following year he became a scout for Aston Villa before becoming manager of non league Chelmsford City in June 1949. He left Chelmsford in November 1950 and in December 1951 became manager of Hastings United. He finally became manager of Tonbridge in April 1958 and remained in post until his death at the age of 69 in December 1959.




Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top