Reed George Image 2 Leeds United 1930

Reed George Image 2 Leeds United 1930


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Altofts, near Normanton, Yorkshire born left half George Reed began his football career with Altofts, from where he signed for First Division newcomers Leeds United in October 1924, making his Football League debut against Sunderland in April 1926. Having broken into the Leeds team in December 1926 during Leeds’ relegation season, in the next three and a half seasons he missed just eight matches, and he was an ever present in 1927-28 as Leeds won an immediate promotion back to the top flight, finishing as Second Division runners up. Described as “an enthusiastic clubman, he possesses remarkable powers of recovery, and when in possession does not hesitate to carry the ball up-field”, his only two League goals for Leeds United both came in a five match run in November 1929 in a win over Grimsby Town at the start of the month and in a defeat at Middlesbrough at the end, as Leeds finished fifth in the League Championship. In April 1930, he and teammate Harry Roberts shared a benefit match against Manchester United.

But he lost his place thereafter and didn’t play at all during 1930-31, after which he and Roberts both left for Second Division club Plymouth Argyle at the end of the season, with Reed having appeared exactly 150 times for Leeds in all competitions, scoring three goals, his other goal coming in an FA Cup replay win at Exeter City in January 1929. He spent three seasons with The Pilgrims, making 48 appearances, and scoring a solitary goal in a win over Burnley in March 1932. During his time at Argyle he battled with Alec Hardie and later Archie Gorman until he moved to Crystal Palace in 1934. However, he made just two appearances for the South London side during a single season at Selhurst Park before moving to Clapton Orient a year later, where he made just a single appearance in a match against Brighton & Hove Albion in April 1936. He then became player-manager of non league club King’s Lynn, a position he held from 1936 to 1938, and subsequently for Haverfordwest Athletic in 1938 before the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939.

After the War he returned to Plymouth Argyle as Assistant Trainer, ironically replacing former team mate Archie Gorman, one of his old rivals for the left half berth in his playing days at the club. While running to change trains at Bristol after a scouting assignment at Coventry City on 29th November 1958, he suffered a fatal heart attack aged 54.

Reed’s great grandson is Wales international rugby union player Sam Warburton.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top