Hooper Harry Image 1 Sheffield United 1937

Hooper Harry Image 1 Sheffield United 1937


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Burnley, Lancashire born full back (who played both sides) Harry Hooper played junior football for Nelson Tradesmen in 1927 before joining Third Division (North) clubNelson in 1928, making his Football League debut at Carlisle United the same October. He was awarded a professional contract the following month, but found it difficult to break into the first team. He returned to the starting line-up in place of Clem Rigg for the 3-2 loss to Darlington on 5th January 1929 and retained his place for the next ten matches. Hooper found his first team opportunities even more limited in the 1929-30 season following the signing of Billy Fairhurst from Southport.

After making 21 appearances for Nelson, Hooper was signed by First Division side Sheffield United in February 1930. He moved along with half back Harry Tordoff for a combined transfer fee of £750. On his arrival at United Hooper became a regular at left back, but in 1933 he switched to right back and became first choice in that position until 1939, missing very few games. Hooper went on to play for Sheffield United for 17 years, scoring 11 goals in 292 appearances for the club either side of the Second World War. Hooper was made captain in 1935 and captained the side as they lost 1-0 to Arsenal in the 1936 FA Cup Final at Wembley. Suffering an injury towards the end of the 1938-39 season he missed a lengthy run of games for the first time, when The Blades finished runners up in the Second Division to return to the top flight following their relegation in 1934.

Following the outbreak of the Second World War he joined The Royal Army Ordnance Corps and rarely played for United again, although he did make guest appearances for Portsmouth, Hartlepools United and Huddersfield Town. Following the cessation of hostilities, Hooper did briefly return to United’s first team during the 1945-46 season playing 3 FA Cup ties, but he drifted out of contention and played out the remainder of his time at Bramall Lane in United’s reserves.

In July 1947, Hooper signed for Hartlepools United on a permanent basis and went on to make 66 appearances for The Monkeyhangers, scoring 4 goals, already 39 when he played his last first team match in January 1950. Hartlepool released Hooper at the end of the 1949-50 season, and appointed him to the role of assistant trainer and coach. He moved on to an assistant trainer post at West Ham United in November 1950. In October 1957, he was appointed manager of Halifax Town, and spent almost five seasons in charge of the club before leaving in April 1962.

His son, also named Harry, was also a footballer and represented West Ham, Wolves, Birmingham and Sunderland.

Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top