Hanford Harry Image 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1936

Hanford Harry Image 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1936


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Blaengwynfi, Glamorgan born centre half Harry Hanford was a Wales Schoolboy international who began his football career with Blaengwynfi in 1924 and played for Ton Pentre in 1925, where he played for The Welsh League,  before turning professional with Second Division Swansea Town in May 1926, making his Football League debut at Preston North End in December 1927. Initially struggling to get into the first team, he established himself from March 1930 played 38 games in 1930-31. In the book by Geraint H Jenkins, ‘Proud to be a Swan’, Hanford is described as “a muscular, lantern-jawed stopper”.

He was awarded his first of 7 Wales international caps in a 1-1 draw with Ireland at Windsor Park, Belfast in  November 1933 earned through to 1939. Hanford was part of the giant killing Swansea Town side that saw off Stanley Matthews’ First Division club Stoke City in the third round of the 1935 FA Cup. Swansea were having a difficult season in Division Two that year but, two goals from Lowery and strikes from Hughie Blair and Walter Bussey helped them see off Stoke 4-1 at the Vetch Field.

In February 1936 First Division Sheffield Wednesday signed him after 21o matches for Swansea, having scored once for them in an FA Cup 4th round replay win over Bury in February 1934, and he played for Wednesday until the outbreak of Second World War, making 97 appearances for The Owls, scoring once in a defeat to Plymouth Argyle in December 1938. During the War he guested for Swindon Town, and after the War, although already 38 years old, he signed for Exeter City in May 1946 and he played a season for The Grecians making 37 appearances before joining non league Haverfordwest Athletic ahead of his eventual retirement.

He then became assistant trainer at Northampton Town, before returning to St James’ Park as Exeter’s trainer in June 1953. Hanford’s contract was not renewed in June 1958.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top