Partick born wing half Jim Bowie began his career at Maryhill juniors and joined Rangers in December 1910 from Queen’s Park. During his time at the club he won five League championships. Bowie won two Scotland caps in 1920, but also played in three wartime internationals in 1919. He also represented The Scottish League 5 times between 1911 to 1919, scoring twice. He retired from playing in 1922. After retiring, he became a club director in 1925 and served as chairman from 1934 until 1947. The circumstances for Bowie’s departure as chairman were due to a boardroom coup, after he suggested that then manager Bill Struth retire, being that he was 71 years old. He was also president of the Scottish Football League from 1939 to 1946.
Note in this 1912 issued photograph he appears to be wearing a Queen’s Park shirt although he hadn’t played for them since 1910.