Webster Maurice Image 2 Middlesbrough 1925

Webster Maurice Image 2 Middlesbrough 1925


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


South Shore, Blackpool, Lancashire born centre half Maurice Webster began his football career with Blackpool Tramways in 1914 and played for Bloomfield Villa in 1915, South Shore Wednesday in 1916, Lytham in 1919 and Fleetwood in 1920, from where, after a trial with Blackburn Rovers, he joined Stalybridge Celtic in October 1921, making his debut in an FA Cup tie at Carlisle United the next month, a 0-0 draw, and scoring in a 3-2 victory in the replay. His Football League debut followed against Wigan Borough, but after 3 goals in only 15 games he was signed by First Division Middlesbrough in April 1922 for “a substantial” transfer fee, making his debut for ‘Boro at Huddersfield Town at the start of May.

He established himself in the Middlesbrough first team from December 1922, and although they were relegated in 1924 he continued with them in the Second Division, and was a regular for two seasons, however in both their promotion season of 1927 and their immediate relegation season of 1928 he only managed 5 games per season. Winning back his first team place on a regular basis in December 1928, he helped ‘Boro win the Second Division Championship in 1929, and he was called into the England squad in October 1929, being a non playing reserve in a win over Ireland in Belfast. He made his England debut in a 5-2 victory over Scotland at Wembley in April 1930, and won two more caps the next month in England’s summer European Tour, in matches against Germany in Berlin and Austria in Vienna, both drawn. He also played once for The Football League in a 2-2 draw against The Irish League in Belfast in September 1930.

He continued to be a regular for Middlesbrough in the top flight until he lost his first team place in March 1933, playing only once more for Middlesbrough before joining Carlisle United in June 1935 after 3 goals in 281 appearances. He then broke his leg in a League match against Lincoln City on 16th November in his 14th appearance for the club. He remained in Lincoln County Hospital until the New Year, and he retired shortly afterwards.

Webster returned to Middlesbrough as a member of the training staff for the 1936-37 season. From July 1937 however, Webster returned to Brunton Park and trained the players there. In 1952, he became trainer at North Eastern League club, Stockton, and trained the North Eastern League representative eleven.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top