Titmuss Fred Image 2 Southampton 1922

Titmuss Fred Image 2 Southampton 1922


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Pirton, Hertfordshire born left back Fred Titmuss began his football career with hometown Pirton United in the Luton Alliance in 1913 and then played for Hitchin Town in 1914 before the outbreak of the First World War, during which he served with The Lancashire Fusiliers. He was spotted playing for an Army representative side by Southampton stalwart Bert Lee, and when the War ended he was invited for a trial with the Southern League club. He made his Southampton debut against Exeter City in August 1919. The next season after they were invited to help form the new Third Division, he made his Football League debut in their inaugural League fixture at Gillingham in August 1920, missing only one match that season. In seven years at The Dell he made 237 appearances, being ever present as they won the Third Division (South) Championship in 1921-22, and he also won two full England caps.

His England career saw him and Bill Rawlings become the third and fourth players to be called up from a third tier club when they were both selected to play for England against Wales at Anfield in March 1922, being two players of only a handful of England caps awarded from the League’s Third tier. Titmuss won a second cap a year later against the same opponents at Ninian Park.

After eventually losing his regular place with The Saints he joined Plymouth Argyle for £1,750 in February 1926 and settled well, captaining The Pilgrims to the 1929-30 Third Division (South) title after missing promotion narrowly in the previous four seasons with two runners up places, a 3rd and a 4th place. In all he made 177 appearances at left back for Argyle but as with his time with The Saints, he never managed a goal. His final game for Argyle, in May 1932, saw the club achieve their highest ever League finish, fourth in the Second Division, he then joined non league St Austell  in 1932 before retirement. He was later appointed as a scout by Plymouth Argyle in November 1938.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top