Thorpe Percy Image 1 Reading 1928

Thorpe Percy Image 1 Reading 1928


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Nottingham born right back Percy Thorpe began his football career with Sutton Town in 1923 from where he joined Second Division Blackpool in the summer of 1924, making his Football League debut in the opening game of the new season, a single-goal victory at Clapton Orient on 30th August. He went on to make a further eleven League appearances that campaign, the majority of which were spent at centre-half, however in the absence of Matt Barrass, he did play up front alongside the prolific Harry Bedford for one game.

In 1925-26, Thorpe made 30 Second Division appearances and scored three goals, all coming from the penalty spot. He spent the majority of that campaign at right full-back, but also switched to the left side briefly. He scored his first goal for Blackpool in a 3-2 Boxing Day victory over Chelsea at Bloomfield Road.  Thorpe missed only 4 of Blackpool’s 42 League games of 1926-27. He scored two goals – one a penalty, the other, at Grimsby Town on Christmas Day 1926, from open play. It was the last goal of his career. Sydney Beaumont succeeded Frank Buckley as manager for the 1927-28 campaign, and Beaumont gave 33 starts to Thorpe, in what was his final season with the club. His final appearance for Blackpool occurred in the final game of the season, a 4-0 home victory over Fulham on 5th May.

After 115 appearances for Blackpool, Thorpe joined non league Connah’s Quay & Shotton, before returning to the Second Division with Second Division Reading in October 1928. He had two good seasons at Elm Park, making 73 appearances. He then joined First Division Sheffield United in the 1930 close season. In three years at Bramall Lane, he made 111 League and cup appearances for The Blades.

He joined Second Division West Ham United in the summer of 1933 but made only 3 appearances before a move to Accrington Stanley in 1934, where he managed only two appearances, before a move to Port Vale in November 1934, and played his final match, and only appearance for Vale on 19th November at The Old Recreation Ground in a goalless draw against the club with which he made his name, Blackpool, already aged 35. He retired at the end of the 1934-35 season.


Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top