Larbert, Sterlingshire born goalkeeper Leslie Skene was educated at George Watson’s College, Edinburgh University and Queen’s University, qualifying as a psychiatrist, meantime playing football for the College in 1898 and the University in 1900. He joined Scottish League amateur club Queen’s Park in 1901, making his debut in a 2-1 home defeat to Hibernian in May. He played only once during 1901-02 and once more in 1902-03, but from August 1903 was a far more regular fixture in The Spiders’ first eleven, making in total through to March 1906, making 53 Scottish League and Cup appearances in total. He also appeared for Stenhousemuir during the same period, and went on loan to Hibernian in 1901-02, making one appearance deputising for legendary goalkeeper Harry Rennie.
He was selected to represent The Scottish League in February 1904, playing in a 3-1 victory over The Irish League at Love Street, St Mirren. Following this appearance, in March 1904 he was selected to play for Scotland in their 1-1 draw with Wales at Dens Park. It was his only international cap.
In 1907 he joined Second Division Fulham for their inaugural Football League season, making his debut in their first ever League match in a 1-0 home defeat to Hull City. He spent three seasons at Craven Cottage as Fulham’s principal glovesman, playing in their 1908 FA Cup semi final defeat to Newcastle United, making 94 appearances before joining Irish League Glentoran in 1910. While with The Glens he was further honoured when he represented The Irish League in a 2-0 defeat to The Southern League at Windsor Park, Belfast, in September 1911.
Skene served in the Royal Army Medical Corps during the First World War and rose to the rank of acting Major. He was twice wounded at Gallipoli in 1915 and was awarded the Military Cross in 1918 for gallantry and distinguished service in the field.
He was the older brother of Clyde Skene, a footballer with clubs including Queen’s Park, Stenhousemuir, Dundee and Dunfermline Athletic, who won the Military Medal for bravery in the field in the First World War.