Lambie Alec Image 1 Partick Thistle 1922

Lambie Alec Image 1 Partick Thistle 1922


In stock

Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Troon born half back Alec Lambie played for Partick Thistle throughout the 1920’s having joined from Troon Athletic in 1921, and was one of the biggest players in football in the day, standing some 6 foot 2″ and weighing over 14 stone, and as early as 1923 described as “a first rate centre half”. He made 325 appearances for The Jags, scoring 17 goals, between 1921 and 1931.

Described in 1929 as “one of Scotland’s leading centre halves for a good many seasons. Uses his cranium to great effect and usually comes off best in a tackle”, he was awarded representative recognition when he played for The Scottish League against The English Football League in a 2-6 defeat at Ibrox on 10th March 1928, with Celtic’s Jimmy McGrory, Arsenal’s Joe Hulme and Everton’s Dixie Dean each scoring twice for their respective Leagues, a measure of the company he was keeping!

In April 1930 Lambie was awarded a benefit match which saw a full strength Liverpool side visit Firhill, winning the match 2-1 in front of a crowd of some 2000 spectators. Lambie (for whatever reason) didn’t actually play in the match. Interestingly the newspaper reports call him “Alick”. He didn’t play in The Jags’ 1921 Scottish Cup triumph over Rangers, but did play in the 1930 re-run, when the Final at Hampden Park finished 0-0 in front of a 107,475 strong crowd, whereas the replay, which Partick lost 2-1 the following Wednesday was in front of a mere 103,000 people!

In September 1931 he joined Third Division (North) Chester, making his Football League debut, and sole Chester appearance, against local rivals Wrexham on the last day of the same month. Clearly for whatever reason he didn’t settle and only five weeks later he joined Swindon Town. He stayed at The County Ground for three years, making 89 appearances and scoring once in a 2-2 draw at Watford in December 1932 before playing non league football in Wales with Lovell’s Athletic in 1934, already aged 37 ahead of his eventual retirement.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top