Hunt Rev KRG Image 1 Crystal Palace 1914


In stock

Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Oxford born left half The Reverend KRG (Kenneth) Hunt had previously attended Wolverhampton Grammar School and won four Blues for football at Oxford University between 1904 and 1907, and had played for The Corinthians, for whom he made his senior debut when he played in The Sheriff of London Charity Shield match against Liverpool at Craven Cottage in April 1906. Joining Wolverhampton Wanderers as an amateur, he made his Football League debut against Burnley in the Second Division in March 1907. The same month he was selected by England for the first time for the match against Wales at Craven Cottage but was the non playing reserve. The following season he was a regular in Wolves’ first eleven and played in all 7 of their FA Cup ties and scored the opening goal of their shock 3-1 FA Cup Final win over Newcastle United. In the 40th minute, a hurried clearance from a scramble in the Newcastle penalty area fell to Hunt, who hit the ball back ferociously from distance, which Lawrence in the Magpies’ goal could only help into the net.

More glory was to follow as he won the Olympic Gold Medal as a member of the Great Britain Amateur team at the London Olympic Games, also winning 16 Amateur caps for England between December 1906, when he made his debut in a 2-1 England win over Ireland at Dalymount Park, Dublin, having played earlier in the month for The Amateurs against The Professionals in an international trial match at Hillsborough, and November 1912. He also played once for The Football League.

He was ordained as a Deacon in 1909, becoming one of the very few ordained ministers to play in top level sport. Having been a reserve for the first Home International match of the season in February 1911 when once again picked for England, he finally made his international debut in a 3-0 win over Wales at The Den, Millwall in March and won a second cap the next month when he played in a 1-1 draw with Scotland at Goodison Park. He was a reserve in England squads on 3 other occasions besides the 1907 call up.

He played for Southern League club Leyton between 1908 and 1911, where he was the club’s captain from 1909, and joined Southern League Crystal Palace in February 1913 playing 16 games in total for their first eleven. Billy Meredith said of him: “I never ran up against a harder or fitter half-back. It was like running up against a brick wall when he charged you… His positioning was perfect. He seldom allowed you a yard of room in which to work. I’m glad I didn’t have to meet him very often.”

During The First World War he guested for Crystal Palace, and he continued to play for Crystal Palace after the War but also played once more in League football for Wolves in April 1920 against Stoke City. In total he played 61 times for Wolves scoring twice. Among other teams he also played for Oxford City and New Crusaders. He was in later life from July 1946, the Amateur Football Association representative on the FA Council, as well as the president of the Cross-in-Hand FC and the famous amateur club Pegasus.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top