Hurlford, Ayrshire born outside left William Hillhouse began his football career with Stevenston from where he signed for Motherwell in 1913. His career was severely interrupted by the First World War, and after the War he joined Albion Rovers in 1919 after a single goal in 22 appearances for The Steelmen.
He was a member of Albion Rovers’ 1920 Scottish Cup team which arguably enjoyed the club’s finest hour, when, having beaten mighty Rangers in a replay 2-0 at Celtic Park, reached the club’s only ever Scottish Cup Final, only to lose 3-2 to Kilmarnock in the Final on 17th April 1920 in front of 95,000 spectators, at the time a record attendance for a club match in Scotland. Hillhouse scored Rovers’ second goal in the Final to bring the score to 2-2 in the 50th minute.
In 1921 he joined Clyde and had a season at Shawfield before a move to Third Lanark, remaining with The Warriors until his retirement in 1924.