Little Hulton, Salford born full back Harry Grundy began his football career with Rothwells Athletic in 1911 and played for Wharton Lads in 1912 and Little Lever Colliery in 1913, from where he joined First Division Oldham Athletic in August 1914, making his Football League debut at Notts County in January 1915 in what was his only appearance for the first eleven prior to the First World War.
He returned to Boundary Park after the War and after initially being on the fringes of the first team, he broke through to being a regular feature in April 1921. After The Latics were relegated from the First Division in 1923 he became Club Captain and played a further six seasons for them in the Second Division. Described as “the last to claim the qualities of a stylist, but for consistency and effectiveness as a full back hard to beat… with a sure kick and a fearless tackle”, in over fourteen years at Oldham (he played his last game in November 1928) he made 289 appearances for The Latics without ever scoring a goal.
NB This photograph was taken in March 1923 in a match against Everton. The Everton forward outjumping Harry Grundy is Jack Cock.