Gregory Julius Image 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 1907

Gregory Julius Image 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 1907


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.

SKU: green-arthur-image-1-notts-forest-1907-1 Category: Tags: , , ,


Romiley, near Stockport, Cheshire born full back (he played both sides) Julius Gregory began his senior football career with Bury, for whom he signed in November 1899. He didn’t make a first team appearance for The Shakers although he was picked at right back to represent The Lancashire Combination in a match against The Birmingham League at The Hawthorns in February 1902, before a spell with non league Unsworth later in 1902, but he returned to Bury in September 1903 and made his Football League debut at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Boxing Day that year.

He made 7 appearances a season for Bury over two seasons as they maintained their First Division status before a move to Manchester City in May 1905, but he only managed 3 appearances for The Citizens during 1905-06 before heading south to join Southern League Brighton & Hove Albion in the 1906 close season, where his spell with The Seagulls was not without controversy. In November 1906, he was heavily sanctioned by The Football Association after charging an opponent ‘under violence’ during a match at Northampton Town. The incident would spark disorder among the home support and led to a review into safety procedures.

Gregory was then banned for a second time less than 12 months later, when he was found guilty of misconduct following a tempestuous 3-2 defeat at Southampton. Despite these incidents he was a regular for The Seagulls, scoring once in 64 appearances over two seasons with them before joining Luton Town in 1908. After a single season that saw him make 31 appearances for The Hatters, he retired from football in 1909.

In late 1914, a matter of months after the outbreak of the First World War, he enlisted in as a private in the 20th (Service) Battalion (3rd Public Schools) of The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) and was posted to France in November 1915. He was killed during an attack on High Wood during the Battle of the Somme on 20th July 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top