Green Tommy Image 1 Clapton Orient 1923

Green Tommy Image 1 Clapton Orient 1923


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Liverpool born centre forward Tommy Green came to prominence with his football career during the First World War playing as a wartime guest for Liverpool, for whom he scored 20 goals in 19 appearances during 1917-18 and 1918-19. After the War had ended he signed with Second Division West Ham United in the 1919 close season, and made his Football League debut at Barnsley in September 1919 in West Ham’s second League fixture. However he only made 3 first team appearances for The Hammers in the autumn of 1919 before returning to Merseyside to sign for Central League club Southport Central, joining South Liverpool in 1920.

In July 1921 he returned to Football League action when he joined Third Division (North) club Accrington Stanley, scoring 11 goals in his first 8 games and also bagging a hat-trick against Walsall in April 1922 as he finished Accrington’s top scorer with 23 goals from 31 appearances, but he moved on to Second Division Stockport County in July 1922, scoring 16 goals in 32 appearances for The Hatters, and again being the club’s top scorer.

He joined Clapton Orient in the 1923 close season and scored 10 goals in 27 appearances through to February 1924 when he moved north to Scotland to join Heart of Midlothian at the end of February 1924, initially on loan, making his Scottish League debut against Raith Rovers at the beginning of March, to join Hearts permanently in July 1924. He scored 19 goals in 21 games for The Jambos in 1924-25 but again moved on, firstly to Hamilton Academical in March 1925 where he had a single outing for Accies in the replay of the Scottish Cup semi final game against Dundee at Easter Road on 23rd March 1925 which was lost 2-0. He played on loan along with another Tynecastle man, John Murphy who had played in three earlier Scottish Cup ties. He then moved on to Third Lanark in July 1925 and scored four goals in their pre season trial match. He later returned to non league football in England with Flint Town in 1926, playing for Wavertree Albion in 1927 and Milners Safe Works in 1928 before his retirement.


Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top