Gordon Davy Image 1 Hull City 1907

Gordon Davy Image 1 Hull City 1907


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Leith, Edinburgh born left half Davy Gordon began his senior football career with Scottish League club Leith Athletic, from where he was signed by newly elected Second Division club Hull City in June 1905, making his Football League debut in Hull’s inaugural League fixture, Gordon scoring twice in a 4-1 win over Barnsley that September. An ever present during Hull’s maiden season, from November that year he often played at inside left, with about half his matches during the season played in that position, and a return of 11 goals saw him finish third in their goalscoring list as The Tigers finished fifth in the division. He missed only one match in their 1906-07 campaign, and two matches a season in their 1908-09 and 1909-10 campaigns as Hull City finished fourth and third in the division respectively, narrowly missing out on promotion to the top flight.

Described by a contemporary writer as “a worrying type of half back, being feared by many a forward for his grim never-say-die persistency. The Tigers have a no more consistent player”, Gordon remained a regular in Hull City’s side until losing his place in April 1913, and having featured in only 14 matches in 1913-14, he finally left Anlaby Road to return to Edinburgh with St Bernard’s in the 1914 close season after 17 goals in 296 appearances for Hull City, by when he was by far and away Hull City’s record appearance maker, only John McQuillan and Joe “Stanley” Smith having also exceeded 200 matches.

Gordon re-joined Leith Athletic later in 1914 and joined Hibernian in the 1916 close season, where he was a regular over the next three seasons making 78 appearances for Hibs, also having a spell on loan with Kilmarnock where he made a single appearance in a 0-0 draw at Hearts in April 1917. His final appearance for Hibs came in a win over Dumbarton in February 1919 before his retirement from playing, already aged 36.

After Hibernian manager Dan McMichael died due to the effects of the flu pandemic, Gordon was appointed manager in February 1919, a post he held until he resigned in April 1921. His time in charge of Hibernian was largely unsuccessful, but he signed some players who reached Scottish Cup Finals in 1923 and 1924 under his successor, Alex Maley. The following year he was appointed as manager of Third Division (North) club Hartlepools United in July 1922, holding the post until February 1924 when he left with the team struggling towards the foot of the division. Later the same year he became manager of St Bernard’s, and remained in the post until 1926, when he retired from professional football.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top