Glasgow born outside left John “Doc” Fitzsimons (often also spelt Fitzsimmons) was studying at the Anderson College of Medicine and at the same time played for St Rochs, and was spotted by Glasgow Celtic manager Willie Maley in the amateur match between St Joseph’s and St Mungo’s. He signed for Celtic in August 1934 and made his Scottish League debut in a 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock on 5th October 1935. That season he would have been included in Celtic’s Exhibition Cup Team but for the pressure of his work as a medical student. He made 5 appearances for Celtic before being released in the summer of 1938, joining Alloa Athletic that June.
During the Second World War he appeared for Clyde, Falkirk, for whom he played from August 1942 to 1946 and also signed for Hamilton Academical in 1946, scoring 3 goals in 11 appearances during their 1946-47 campaign before a move to Clyde in the 1947 close season. Described as “a constant danger to opposing defenders”, after his retirement he became Celtic’s club physician in September 1953 and is perhaps best known as Celtic’s club doctor during their glory years of the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. In 1970 he was appointed doctor to the Scotland international team, a position he held for ten years, during which he attended three World Cups in Argentina, Germany and Spain.