Edwards George Image 1 Birmingham City 1946

Edwards George Image 1 Birmingham City 1946


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.

SKU: edwards-george-image-1-birmingham-1946 Categories: , Tags: , , , ,


Treherbert, Rhondda born outside left George Edwards joined Swansea Town as an amateur in May 1938 and made his Football League debut for The Swans against Tranmere Rovers in April 1939, making 2 appearances before the intervention of The Second World War which forced the abandonment of peacetime football in September 1939. During the early years of the War, he continued to study for a degree at Swansea University while still playing for Swansea Town. Called up to serve in The Royal Air Force, he was stationed in the Midlands, and guested for Coventry City on a number of occasions.

He turned professional with Birmingham City in 1944, contributing to the club winning the Championship of the Football League South Wartime League, reaching the semi final of the FA Cup in the 1946, where they lost to eventual winners Derby County in a replay at Maine Road, and he was a regular as Birmingham won the Second Division Championship in the 1947-48 season.

Edwards first represented his country as an amateur in 1938, and played for Wales in wartime internationals and for Services representative sides. He made his full international debut for Wales in their first post-war international match, a 3-1 victory over Scotland at The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham in October 1946, and won a total of twelve full caps through to 1949, scoring twice for his country.

However he only played 10 matches in the top flight before he returned to Wales to sign for Second Division club Cardiff City for £12,000 in December 1948 after 9 goals in 99 appearances for Birmingham. Described as “an exceptionally speedy type of player, he also has great skill and a fine shot and this with his strength makes him a hard man to stop”, he made his Bluebirds debut in a 2-2 draw with Leicester City before scoring on his home debut in a 6-1 victory over Bradford Park Avenue. He helped the Bluebirds to promotion as Second Division runners-up in the 1951-52 season and began forming a partnership with striker Wilf Grant. He played his last games in September 1955 but decided to retire while still a first choice for Cardiff.

In 1957 he was invited to join the board of directors of Cardiff City, a directorship which he held for twenty-five years in two spells. He was active on the Sports Council for Wales (now Sport Wales) from its establishment in 1972, and within the Football Association of Wales.


Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top