Marsden, South Shields, County Durham born wing half Harry Wilson was the epitome of a utility player, playing at right back, left back, all across the half back line, inside left and centre forward at various times as required in his career. He began his playing career with Marsden Rescue in 1918 and joined hometown Second Division club South Shields in the summer of 1919, making his Football League debut at Birmingham in September 1920, but he only played three times in his debut season. Appearing more regularly in 1920-21, he became club captain by 1925 and second top scored for Shields with 16 goals in their 1925-26 campaign, when he missed only one match in a season where he mainly played across the forward line but also played 5 games at left back!
He continued to play for South Shields until their relegation in 1928, when he was transferred to Blackpool in the close season after 21 goals in 232 appearances. Although never a regular at Bloomfield Road, he played 11 times as they won the Second Division Championship in 1929-30, and his 266th and final League appearance, at Middlesbrough in January 1931, proved to be the only top flight game of his career. After 0ne goal in 34 appearances for The Tangerines he joined Southern League club Aldershot in 1931, helping them to win the Southern League Championship in 1931-32, although by the time The Shots joined The Football League a year later he had retired.