Newcastle-upon-Tyne born inside left Billy Moore began his football career with Seaton Delaval from where he signed for First Division club and at the time League Champions Sunderland as an amateur in November 1912, making his Football League debut at Sheffield United in February 1914, making two further appearances before the season end. Before turning professional he won 4 caps for England Amateurs between February and June 1914, scoring twice on his debut in an 8-1 thrashing of Belgium in Brussels and adding three more goals in two victories over Sweden in June.
Moore scored 4 goals in 11 appearances for The Wearsiders in their final League campaign before the onset of the First World War caused the suspension of peacetime football in May 1915, and he turned professional during the First World War, guesting for Leeds City in 1917-18 and helping them to win the War League title, and after the conflict’s resolution he returned to Roker Park although he struggled to establish himself in their first team, playing 20 times during their 1920-21 campaign but only twice the following season.
After 11 goals in 47 appearances for Sunderland he was signed by Second Division club West Ham United in May 1922 and was an ever present in the side that won promotion back to the First Division in 1922-23 as runners up in the Second Division, scoring a career best 15 goals during the campaign, and he played in the famous “White Horse” FA Cup Final of 1923 when West Ham were beaten by Bolton Wanderers in the first Cup Final to be staged at Wembley in front of a massive crowd.
He received full international recognition for England when selected against Sweden in Stockholm on 24th May 1923, scoring twice in a 3-1 victory, although it proved his only appearance for the full international side. Moore then helped establish West Ham in the top flight and played for six further seasons, scoring 48 goals in 202 appearances before his playing retirement in 1929. After retiring, he became West Ham United’s assistant trainer. He was appointed their Head Trainer in 1932, holding this appointment until his retirement in May 1960.