Miller Willie Image 1 Partick Thistle 1934

Miller Willie Image 1 Partick Thistle 1934


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Nicknamed ‘Golden Miller’ after a famous racehorse of the time, Camelon, Stirlingshire born inside right Willie Miller began his football career as a centre half with Alva Albion Rangers before a move to Scottish League Partick Thistle in 1929, and played in a variety of positions for Partick before settling in at inside forward where he could play both sides. “He has excellent passing abilities” it was said of him in 1934, “but also possesses… the tackling ability which is a remnant of his half-back days. This enables him to fetch and carry the ball through industriously and no player could be more willing”. He scored 39 goals in 152 appearances over six years at Firhill and while with Partick he was selected to represent The Scottish League, playing as they were beaten 2-1 by The Football League at Stamford Bridge in October 1934.

Described as having “plenty of dash and excellent ball control”, he was part of the Scottish FA team that toured America and Canada at the end of the 1934-35 season and was then signed by First Division club Everton on his return, making his Football League debut against Derby County the same August. However he lost his place in Everton’s eleven after an FA Cup defeat at home to Preston North End in January 1936 and played only once more that season and once more the next season, when he scored in a 6-4 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday in September before a transfer to Second Division club Burnley at the start of October 1936 when Burnley paid £2,000 for Miller and team mate Jimmy Stein, Miller having scored twice in 17 matches for The Toffees.

He was a near ever present for The Clarets in their 1937-38 campaign, missing only two matches as they finished sixth in the division but in November 1938 he was transferred to fellow Second Division club Tranmere Rovers after 19 goals in 77 appearances for Burnley, but he couldn’t help prevent their season sliding towards relegation, before which he joined Falkirk in February 1939, by when he had scored once in 12 appearances for Tranmere Rovers.

After 10 appearances for Falkirk his career was severely interrupted by the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, and during the conflict he played for Aidrieonians as a wartime guest in 1942-43. After the War he made 3 appearances for Dumbarton in the 1946-47 season before his retirement, by then already aged 37.



Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top