McKinnon Angus Image 2 Arsenal 1913

McKinnon Angus Image 2 Arsenal 1913


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Left half Angus McKinnon was born in Paisley and started his career at junior side Petershill before moving south of the border to join Carlisle United, then of the Lancashire Combination early in 1908. He then moved even further south, joining London side Woolwich Arsenal in May 1908. Initially a reserve player, McKinnon made his Football League debut on 12th December 1908 in a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Bradford City at Valley Parade, and only made one more appearance in the 1908-09 season. He mainly played at left half, as understudy to fellow Scot Roddy McEachrane, and it wasn’t until 1911 that McKinnon supplanted his countryman and became a regular in the Woolwich Arsenal side.

McKinnon was a regular from then on, until official competition was suspended due to the First World War in 1915, a period with injury between March and November 1914 excepted. Unfortunately for him, his career with Woolwich Arsenal coincided with their relegation from the First Division in 1913; nevertheless he continued to serve Arsenal (as they had been renamed following their move to Highbury in 1913) as they pushed for promotion.

During the War he served as a driver in the Royal Field Artillery, and returned to play for Arsenal, who had been elected back to the First Division, once competitive football resumed in 1919. Although by this time 32, he continued to play for Arsenal for another two seasons, and started the 1921-22 season as first-choice left half, before being replaced by the young Tom Whittaker.

McKinnon was given a free transfer in the summer of 1922, having played 217 matches for Arsenal, scoring 4 goals. He signed for Charlton Athletic, where he played one season making 15 appearances, and then moved to Wigan Borough but did not play a single first team match for the club and retired in 1923. After retiring, he joined New Brighton spending 27 years at the club, between 1935 and 1962, as either trainer or coach.


Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top