Lindsay Duncan Image 1 Newcastle United 1930


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Cambuslang, Lanarkshire born centre forward Duncan Lindsay began his football career with Cambuslang Rangers and first played senior football with Scottish League club East Fife in 1925, originally as a winger, going on to join First Division club Cowdenbeath in 1926, where he converted to centre forward and came to prominence when scoring a double hat-trick for Cowden against St Johnstone in 1927-28. His success at Central Park was such that in May 1930, after 82 goals in 126 League games, Lindsay was signed by First Division club Newcastle United for a fee of £2,700 as a potential replacement for Hughie Gallacher, who had joined Chelsea. Lindsay made his Football League debut at Sheffield Wednesday the same August, and was a regular scorer until losing his place in December, probably through injury, returning in March for four further matches before the season end. Despite only playing 19 times in his only season with Newcastle he was the club’s top scorer with 12 goals.

He was then signed by Second Division club Bury for £525 in July 1931 where he helped them to finish in fifth place in the Second Division and was again the club’s top goalscorer in 1931-32 with 19 goals in 43 appearances, one better than David Robbie, but having lost his place at the start of the following season he had a loan spell with non league club Ashton National, returning to Gigg Lane in 1933 where he scored once more in 6 appearances for The Shakers before he joined Northampton Town in February 1934 but he played just once for The Cobblers in a defeat at Clapton Orient before joining Hurst and playing 6 Cheshire League matches towards the end of the 1933-34 season.

Lindsay returned to Football League action with Hartlepools United in July 1934 and had the best goalscoring season of his English career, scoring 26 goals in 43 appearances for The Monkey Hangers during the 1934-35 season, and was again the club’s top goalscorer, but he left Victoria Park at the end of the season to join Barrow in July 1935 where he scored 3 times in just eight matches, once in each of his first three games for The Bluebirds, before moving to York City in October 1935. After a further 9 goals in 26 appearances for The Minstermen Lindsay returned to the Cheshire League, first with Ashton National then towards the end of the 1937-38 campaign and he then re-joined Hurst for a second spell, now aged 36, playing in the last 9 games of the season and scoring three times before his retirement.

NB in the photograph Lindsay is shown with Newcastle team mates Sam Weaver, Bob Thomson and Joe Harris.

Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top