Kendall Jack Image 1 Lincoln City 1922

Kendall Jack Image 1 Lincoln City 1922


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Broughton, near Brigg, Lincolnshire born goalkeeper Jack Kendall began his football career with Broughton Rangers before joining Third Division (North) club Lincoln City in 1922, still aged only 17. He made his Football League debut against Halifax Town that September, immediately establishing himself as The Imps’ regular glovesman, making 74 appearances over the following two seasons before being bought by First Division Everton for £1,250 in April 1924.

Selected instead of incumbent Alfred Harland for the second of three games in four days over the Easter Weekend, he made what the Daily Express described as “a promising debut” as Everton beat Tottenham Hotspur 4-2. With Harland injured, Kendall began the 1924-25 season in the first team, and kept his place for a time after Harland’s return to fitness. He made two more first-team appearances that season, in February 1925, again while Harland was unfit.

Early in the 1925-26 season, both Harland and Kendall played, but when Everton introduced a new first team goalkeeper signing England international Harry Hardy in October 1925, both were made available for transfer at fees of £1,500, Kendall having made 23 appearances for The Toffees. However Kendall was retained for 1926-27, but returned for pre-season training in need of knee cartilage surgery that was to leave him unavailable for selection until mid-November. He was transfer-listed again in April 1927 at a fee of £100, and joined Preston North End in May for £50 without having played any further first team games; Everton agreed to pay him the same amount as accrued share of any long service benefit which he might have expected.

Kendall made only two League appearances for Preston during 1927-28, where he was below Tony Carr and a young Frank Moss in the pecking order, and he rejoined Lincoln City in the 1928 close season. In February 1929 he displaced Len Hill as first choice goalkeeper, and played his last game for Lincoln in March 1930 having made 48 further appearances for The Imps.

He was signed by First Division Sheffield United in March 1930, making 86 appearances for The Blades, his last appearance coming in a 2-0 defeat to Arsenal on the final day of the 1933-34 season that confirmed Arsenal as League Champions. He became the first full time professional to be signed by the newly formed Peterborough United in the 1934 close season as they prepared for their first season in the Midland League. He remained with the club as first choice goalkeeper for four years, making 125 appearances before retiring in 1938.



Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top