Newstead, Nottinghamshire born inside left Freddie Jones began his football career with Annesley and played for Sutton Junction in 1906, from where he was signed by First Division Notts County in 1907, his Football League debut coming against Bury the same October. A regular during the rest of his debut season, scoring 8 goals in 25 appearances, he spent 1908-09 on the fringes, playing in only 5 matches, before returning to the first team in September 1909, when he second top scored for Notts County with 19 goals, only behind Jimmy Cantrell in the standings, as County finished ninth in the League Championship.
But after losing his place early the following season, playing only 3 more matches during 1910-11, he moved to Southern League club Coventry City in the 1911 close season after 28 goals in 70 appearances for The Magpies. At Coventry he enjoyed the best goalscoring season of his career, notching 22 goals in 39 appearances, and he returned to Notts County in the 1912 close season, where he scored 3 times in a further 21 matches as The Magpies suffered relegation to the Second Division. He again returned to Coventry City in the summer of 1913, scoring a further 4 goals in 19 appearances before a move to Southampton for £85 the following summer.
Described as “a burly, bustling inside left who had no fear of shooting on sight”, Jones settled in nicely to a high-scoring trio with Arthur Dominy and Sid Kimpton, with a personal contribution of 14 goals in 37 appearances during the final season before the onset of the First World War forced the suspension of peacetime football in May 1915. Although retained for the duration of the War, he never played any war-time football for The Saints and returned to Coventry City for £50 in September 1919, as they began life in the Football League, having been elected to the Second Division. He scored once in 3 further appearances for The Sky Blues before joining Birmingham & District League club Wrexham in 1920, and he finished his career with spells at non league clubs Pembroke Dock in 1921 and Ebbw Vale in 1922 before his eventual retirement.