Hillman Jack Image 1 Everton 1895

Hillman Jack Image 1 Everton 1895


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Goalkeeper Jack Hillman was born in Tavistock, Devon, but it was in Lancashire that he made his reputation. In 1890 Hillman was playing for the Young Pilgrims, a junior side affiliated with Plymouth Argyle. An impressive performance against Burnley reserves at Easter 1890 prompted the Football League club to sign him, and he made his Football League debut at Accrington in September 1891.

Hillman was known throughout his career as “Happy Jack” and spent four years at Turf Moor making 106 appearances before being sold to Everton for £150 in February 1895. He was unable to settle at Goodison Park and after 38 appearances he moved on to Dundee in June 1896, again for £150. His time at Dundee was not a great success, and midway through the 1897-98 season he was suspended by the club for “not trying”, although at the time the club was bankrupt and unable to pay Hillman’s wages. He returned to Burnley in March 1898, for a fee of £75.

On 18th February 1899, Hillman made his only England international appearance against Ireland. The match was played at Roker Park, Sunderland’s new ground and ended in a 13-2 victory for England, with four goals from Gilbert Smith and three from Jimmy Settle. The scoreline in this match is the record number of goals scored by England in a single match, and also the highest aggregate goals (15) in a game involving England. He also played once for The Football League.

In the 1899-1900 season Burnley were struggling to avoid relegation from the First Division. Going into their final match of the season, against Nottingham Forest, Burnley needed to win to stand a chance of survival. Hillman attempted to bribe the Forest players, offering them £2 each to “take it easy”. At half-time he increased his offer to £5, but Burnley lost 4-0 and were relegated. After the game, the Forest secretary wrote to the F.A. to complain about Hillman’s activities. Hillman was summoned to a joint F.A.-Football League commission in Manchester. Hillman’s defence was that the whole thing had been a joke, apparently inspired by suspicions around Forest’s 8-0 defeat against West Bromwich Albion a few weeks previously. Hillman claimed that he was only asking for a similar favour. The Football Association were not convinced by Hillman’s explanation and banned him for a season for his actions. The incident is the earliest recorded case of match fixing in the sport. Once his ban had expired, he returned to the Burnley first team but was fairly soon sold on, when in January 1902 Hillman was transferred to Manchester City for £350 after a further 83 appearances for The Clarets. He made his Manchester City debut on 1st February 1902 in a First Division match against Notts County at Hyde Road. He subsequently played in all 13 remaining League fixtures that season, but was unable to prevent City being relegated at the end of the season. City only spent one season in the lower league and were promoted as Second Division Champions in 1903, with Hillman making 31 League appearances, going on to take second place in the First Division in 1904. Hillman was also part of the Manchester City team which won the FA Cup in 1904, the club’s first major trophy, when they beat Bolton Wanderers 1-0 in the Final at The Crystal Palace, remaining as first choice keeper until 1906.

During the 1905-06 season he was supplanted as first choice goalkeeper by John Edmondson. In the 1906 close season the Football Association investigated Manchester City’s accounts for bonuses, which though commonplace among leading football clubs, were not permitted under FA rules. The FA chose to make an example of City, and Hillman was one of seventeen players suspended until 1st January 1907, and banned from representing the club again. Hillman was also fined £50. The ban on playing for Manchester City was rescinded in 1908, but Hillman never played for the club again.

He joined Southern League Millwall Athletic in January 1907, although his playing career soon came to an end with an elbow injury. He did play again for Burnley as a wartime guest during the First World War and he was briefly a trainer at Burnley after the War.

Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top