Davies Arthur Image 2 Exeter City 1931

Davies Arthur Image 2 Exeter City 1931


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

SKU: davies-arthur-image-2-exeter-1931 Categories: , Tags: , , ,


New Brighton, Cheshire born goalkeeper Arthur Davies began his football career began his football career with Harrowby and spent 1923-24 at hometown club New Brighton as understudy to the Mehaffy brothers, without making their first team. He then joined Flint Town from where he was signed by Everton in 1926, making his Football League debut at Huddersfield Town that October. Initially understudy to Ted Taylor and Howard Baker, he made 10 appearances in each of his first two seasons, the last 8 of which came from March to May 1928 helping Everton to seal the League Championship, whereupon he was an ever present in Everton’s 1928-29 campaign, also playing in their FA Charity Shield win over Blackburn Rovers at Old Trafford in October 1928. He was also selected for a Football League representative side against their Irish counterparts in a match played at Goodison Park in September 1929.

After 94 appearances for The Toffees Davies was dropped in February 1930 during Everton’s relegation season in favour of a young Ted Sagar, whereupon he was signed by Exeter City for £750 in the 1930 close season, firmly establishing himself as their principal goalkeeper, playing 8 FA Cup ties in his debut season, playing a major part in The Grecians reaching the quarter final of the FA Cup, eventually losing to Sunderland in a replay at St James’ Park, having knocked out First Division clubs Derby County and Leeds United to get there. Davies was an ever present from November 1930 to January 1934, playing 149 consecutive matches, but lost his place to Arthur Chesters in April 1934 and played only 11 more matches for Exeter City in 1934-35 before signing for Plymouth Argyle in the 1935 close season.

Sharing duties with Harry Cann and James Foley he made 22 appearances across two seasons at Home Park, before returning to the Merseyside area in 1937, where he made seven appearances for Southport in 1937-38, but his return home was short-lived and he re-joined Plymouth Argyle in the 1938 close season to make a further 14 appearances under Jack Tresadern, following long-serving Bob Jack’s retirement. Sadly Davies died from peritonitis and a perforated duodenal ulcer at the terribly young age of 35, whilst still registered with the club, on 10th February 1940 just 10 months after his last Argyle game, leaving a baby child and a young widow.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top