Connor Jack Image 1 Airdrieonians 1935

Connor Jack Image 1 Airdrieonians 1935


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.


Garngad, Glasgow born centre forward Jack Connor began his football career with St Roch’s, where it was said of him “a very useful head near goal…shapes well in the outfield” and he first played League football on loan with Alloa Athletic in 1931 before signing for Glasgow Celtic from St Roch’s in June 1932 having had an unsuccessful trial with Celtic the previous year. He made  his competitive first team debut for Celtic in a 4-1 Scottish League defeat at Queen’s Park on 17th September 1932, and later the same season Connor enjoyed a very successful and free scoring loan spell at Airdrieonians where he scored more goals than the number of matches he played, 22 goals in 21 games, being credited with saving them from relegation with his goalscoring, but following his return to Glasgow injuries restricted his opportunities at Celtic Park, leaving to join Airdrie in April 1934 after a single goal in 4 appearances for Celtic.

He top scored for Airdrieonians during 1934-35, towards the end of the season going on loan to Albion Rovers where he similarly helped them avoid relegation scoring 8 goals in 6 matches. Described as “a little fellow with a powerful shot particularly in his left foot”, he signed for Plymouth Argyle in the 1936 close season after 47 goals in 70 appearances for The Diamonds. He scored twice on his Football League debut in a win over Nottingham Forest in September 1936 and top scored for Plymouth in his first season at Home Park with 17 goals at the rate of a goal every other game. He lost his regular centre forward place the following season after the arrival of Bill Hullett, Clarrie Bourton and Charlie Fletcher, and deciding his future lay elsewhere, moved to Swansea Town in 1938 after 19 goals in 44 appearances for Argyle.

He then returned to Scotland in the summer of 1939 joining Queen of the South before the outbreak of the Second World War that September, and he stayed on to play for some wartime matches for Queens after a single goal in 10 appearances for The Swans, and after the War ended, he made a further 6 appearances for Alloa Athletic in 1946 and 5 for St Johnstone the following year before his retirement. After calling time on his playing career he returned to St Roch’s as their manager.


Additional information

Weight N/A
Go to Top