Campbell Kenny Image 6 Liverpool 1912


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links


Cambuslang, Lanarkshire born goalkeeper Kenny Campbell began his football career with Clyde Vale in 1908 and played for Rutherglen Glencairn in 1909 before joining Cambuslang Rangers in 1910. From there he joined Liverpool for £10 in May 1911 making his Football League debut at Blackburn Rovers in February 1912, taking over from Sam Hardy, and despite The Reds also signing Elisha Scott in 1912 he was the predominant goalkeeper up to the cessation of League football in 1915 due to the onset of the First World War, although he had lost his place in the final pre War season to Scott. According to a contemporary profile of Campbell he was said to be “the idol of the Anfield crowd, especially the ladies.” He was also in Liverpool’s goal for their first FA Cup Final in 1914, losing 1-0 against Burnley at The Crystal Palace.

During the First World War he had served in the Armed Forces and played 37 times for Liverpool as well as playing as a wartime guest for Southport Central and Partick Thistle, also playing for Scotland in an unofficial international in 1916. When League football resumed in 1919, Campbell returned to Anfield and did find himself a Liverpool regular once again, but only because of Scott’s unavailability. In February 1920 he won his first cap for Scotland playing in a 1-1 draw with Wales at Ninian Park, Cardiff, and he played in both their remaining Home internationals that spring.

As Scott returned in goal Campbell returned to Scotland joining Partick Thistle for £1,750 in April 1920 after 142 appearances for Liverpool, where he played in The Jags’ underdog victory over Rangers in the 1921 Scottish Cup Final – still the only occasion they have won the trophy, During his time at Firhill he won five more caps for Scotland between February 1921 and April 1922 and also represented The Scottish League in a 3-0 victory over The Irish League at Shawfield in October 1921.

After 76 appearances for Partick Thistle he returned to English football with non league New Brighton in 1922, and then to Football League action with Stoke in March 1923 although in 8 games during the run in he couldn’t help prevent The Potters’ relegation at the season end, playing three more seasons on the fringes of the first team at Stoke, making 27 further appearances. He then returned to the top flight with Leicester City in November 1925 and was a regular for the first two of his four seasons at Filbert Street, making 8 appearances as The Foxes finished runners up in the League Championship in 1928-29, their highest ever finish until going one better in 2016, in total playing 81 times for Leicester City.

In July 1929 he joined South Shields, but couldn’t force his way into the first team, and he ended his career back at New Brighton, by now a League club, joining them in November 1929 and making 58 appearances for them before his retirement in the summer of 1931.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top