Burrows Horace Image 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1936

Burrows Horace Image 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1936


Please choose your photo size from the drop down menu below.

If you wish your photo to be framed please select Yes.
Note: 16″x 20″not available in a frame.

Images can also be added to accessories. To order please follow these links

SKU: burrows-horace-image-3-sheffield-wednesday-1936 Category: Tags: , ,


Left half Horace Burrows was born in Sutton-in-Ashfield in March 1910, as a youth he won honours with Nottinghamshire Schools and played for local club Sutton Junction in 1928. In February 1929 he was offered a trial by Division Three (South) Coventry City and was signed on after a successful tryout. Burrows never managed to break into the Coventry first team and in the close season of 1930 dropped back to playing non league football with Mansfield Town who at that time were in the Midland League. He had a successful season at Mansfield playing 44 games during 1930-31 and helping them get elected to The Football League.

His good form was noticed by Sheffield Wednesday manager Bob Brown and he signed for Wednesday on 1st May 1931 for a fee of £350. Burrows initially found it impossible to force his way into the Wednesday side at left half, being kept out by Gavin Malloch. He eventually made his Football League debut on 27th December 1932 against Manchester City and became Wednesday’s regular left half for the next six seasons up to the outbreak of the Second World War.

He played in 136 consecutive games for Wednesday from April 1933 till March 1936. This sequence of games included Wednesday’s FA Cup run in 1935 when they lifted the trophy beating West Bromwich Albion 4-2 at Wembley. He was also capped three times by England in this period, being first called up in May 1934 in a tour match against Hungary in Budapest. Subsequent internationals followed days later against Czechoslovakia in Prague and Holland in Amsterdam.

At the outbreak of War he had scored 8 times in 264 games, but Burrows continued to play for Wednesday in the wartime leagues, playing 49 wartime games for Wednesday and several as a guest for Millwall before being called up in January 1942 and joining the Sherwood Foresters. He fought and was injured in the First Battle of El Alamein. After leaving the Army in 1945 he also became player-manager of Ollerton Colliery for a time.

His son Adrian also played professional football between 1979 and 1993 making over 200 appearances for Plymouth Argyle.

Additional information

Weight N/A

You may also like…

Go to Top